The American Society for Training and Development conducted research on the probability of a person actually acting on, and completing something they want to do (so this is about making an idea you have into reality).
This is what they came up with:
1. If you hear an idea = 10% chance that you will act on it
2. If you consciously decide to adopt an idea = 25% chance you will act on it
3. If you decide when to act on the idea = 40% chance that you will act on it
4. If you design a plan to act on the idea = 50% chance (we’re getting there!) that you will act on it.
5. If you commit to another person to act on the plan = 65% probability (tell someone what you want to do and this is how probable it is that you will do it)
6. If you have a specific accountability appointment with the person to whom you made your commitment = 95% probability that you will actually complete what you set out to do! So now all you need is an accountability partner!